An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. At Wellfleet Strategies, we help our clients guard against cyber-attacks and develop a plan in the event that one occurs.
Preventing Cyber Attacks
Most cyber-attacks are preventable and occur as a result of carelessness. We meet with your management team to first understand what measures you have in place to guard against cyber attacks. From there, we help you develop new policies and protocols and then implement them company-wide. We typically focus on the following:
- Limiting network access both internally and externally
- Routinely updating passwords and other security credentials
- Establishing vendor and third-party security standards
- Setting up timetables for software updates
- Establishing network monitoring protocols
- Reviewing information security standards
Our goal is to create an environment where the sensitive information on your network is as secure as possible without compromising your ability to do business.
Preparing for a Breach
Data breaches can still happen no matter what technology you have or how strong your cybersecurity measures are. Waiting until the breach has occurred is the worst possible time to figure out what you need to do. We help our clients prepare for cyberattacks in the following ways:
- Establish steps that will be taken in the event that an attack is suspected or detected to prevent further loss of data.
- Establish the steps that will be taken to determine the extent of the breach.
- Determine who should be notified of the breach and when.
- Establish the steps to be taken to address the vulnerability and restore the network.
This sounds simple, but can be incredibly difficult to figure out in the middle of a crisis. The legal framework is unclear, and your liability and obligations to disclose the breach can vary widely depending on where you operate, which is why we work with our clients to make sure they are prepared in the event that they are victims of an attack.
Are You Covered?
A data breach can result in massive financial liability. Many business owners don’t realize that there may be insurance coverage available. We can help you find insurance coverage that will provide protection in the event of a breach so that you can rest easier knowing that a cyber attack won’t bankrupt your business.